Friday, April 3, 2009

Yummy recipe

Despite a migraine yesterday. We hosted a dinner "party". It was my husband's uncle's bday and we had them over for dinner last night. The menu was grilled steak (not for me YUCK! I am not a huge meat eater and I don't like steak at all. I have been called crazy.), salad, rolls, mashed potato bake, and for dessert earthquake cake. Now you are probably thinking the yummy recipe that I am going to share with you is the earthquake cake, but it's not, its the mashed potato bake. It is the first time I made it and it was out of this world. My mother in law and Ryan's aunt both want the recipe. Here is the recipe courtesy of Paula Deen's cookbook The Lady and Sons Too:
5 cups water
4 cups frozen hash brown potatoes (not the shredded kind)
One 7.6 ounce package of Betty Crocker Butter and Herb Mashed potatoes mix
1 stick butter
4 ounces of cream cheese
1 cup cheddar cheese
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
french-fried onions
Preheat the oven to 350. Bring the water to a boil, add the hash browns, and cook for 5 min; drain. Prepare the mashed potato mix according to package directions. Soften the butter the cream cheese together in the microwave. In a large bowl, mix together the hash browns, mashed potatoes, butter and cream cheese, cheddar cheese, sour cream, garlic salt, salt, pepper. Place in a greased 2 quart casserole. Bake for 25-35 min or until golden on top. Sprinkle the onion over the top and bake for about 5 to 8 mins or until onions are golden brown.

Makes 8 servings.

I typed it into weight watchers online and it is 6 points per serving. So YUMMY.

My sister is coming up tomorrow with two of her students to go shopping up here. I am excited to see my sister (I always am) but the most exciting part is that while she takes her two students shopping I get to watch my niece. It is the first time that Aunt Lissa and Kaylee bug have ever gotten to spend time just the two of us. I am so excited and have so much fun planned for us!

1 comment:

  1. Congrast on hosting the party after having a migrane...that is always tough! The potato recipe sounds delicious so I can't wait to try it :)

    ReplyDelete